Friday, July 13, 2012

I know my Mom taught me...


I know my Mom taught me, if you don't have anything nice to say then keep your mouth shut!  Is it that others were not taught this?  Or have we all forgotten our Mother's words?
It's always astonishing to me when others go out of their way to be negative or hurtful.  It's a great reminder of how naive I am. To me , if I don't like someone or something I stay away from it.  It makes perfect sense and is very logical. Why would I seek out things that upset or bother me? If something scared me I would not go looking for it, if something hurt me I would not touch it? So why do others feel the need to go out of their way to find things they do not like and then have the nerve to be mean and hurtful?
Earlier this week I was on Facebook and saw a picture of a young couple and their son on a tattoo page. Now this was a Fan Page. Therefore you have to be a fan of this page to see it's content in your news feed.  Anyways, both Mom and Dad have some tattoos, hence why they're on this page! The Mom is a pretty well known blogger that I happen to follow. As I'm scrolling through the comments under their picture I was appalled. There were so many negative, hurtful, and judgemental comments!! I immediately felt so sorry for them. Especially since they did not submit the photo and were not asked permission first. The wonders of the Internet! So this is what I do not get, most of the negative comments were in regards to having tattoos.  Not just their specific tattoos, but about having them in general. People wrote that they were bad parents and that they were horrible role models to their son. Why oh why are you on a tattoo fan page if you do not like tattoos! And how dare you comment on their parenting! If you don't like tattoos then don't look at them and stay off the tattoo page! End rant...
I think this has hit close to home for me since we frequently endure criticism.   It never fails that some ignorant person will stop Josh and ask him if his gauges hurt while they're holding their own ears! It doesn't matter where we are or what we're doing, people do not respect our boundaries. People frequently touch his ears with out asking, which is way worse the belly rubs when pregnant. Every time we're in public we catch people pointing out Josh's ears (and tattoos) while making extremely rude comments.  I have to say, Josh handles it way better than I ever would. Maybe that's why I was given a fear of needles and have no tattoos or "out of the norm" piercings. When approached, no matter how rude or disrespectful they are, Josh always speaks in a kind voice with a smile on his face and answers every silly question. Meanwhile I'm throwing daggers at them with my eyes by his side!
My point is, if you don't like something don't look at it! I will never understand people who seek out things they don't like to then be mean and hurtful. Just because it's not my taste doesn't mean it shouldn't be your's.

9 comments:

  1. Very valid points. I personally have a tattoo and I don't get why people get so riled up about it. It hurts me especially has I only have one tattoo and it is in honor of a baby I lost.

    All that to say, we never know what someone else is going through and we need to watch what we say.

    Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't agree with you more. I don't know why people feel they can be so mean when they don't even know the couple. I think the computer seperates us from taking responsibility for our actions. It's like cyber bullying all over again!
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. A tattoo is not my personal choice but I know plenty of people who have them and they consider it an expression of their individuality - more power to them. But the bigger point that you raise is why do people feel the urge to be mean? You are so right!!! So sorry you have to endure rude comments, but you are a classy lady!
    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. A tattoo is a very personal choice. Even though you may not like a tattoo on another person but it's no reason for hurling insults at time. Kudos to your hubby for being so cool about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People who act like this don't understand the power that is held in their words. Love that your hubby took the high road!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm often amazed too at the mean things people say! I teach my kids the same thing: If you can't say anything nice, just stay silent.

    http://www.momfever.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very similar to you - if I don't like something, I just keep my distance:)
    Thanks for sharing,
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's amazing how others think they know how to raise other people's children. I've gotten rude comments about so many different parenting choices that affect others in NO WAY WHATSOEVER. Yup - others should keep it to themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the kind words and support.

    ReplyDelete